Wednesday 2 December 2015

THE YEAR THAT WAS 2015

This is a little "early" to be classified as a year end post...but play along! See if you agree


I find it the craziest of our behaviours when I see us, as human beings, become philosophical when traumatic events overtake us and disrupt our lives. Casing point…death! We all become the greatest and deepest of thinkers when we are affected by a close relationship that ceases to exist because of the separation of body and soul.

“He lived a full life…”
“He lived to his very last…”
“He was such a gentle soul, the best at being there for you when you needed…”
“She was such a charming lady, always happy”

Seems we only ever take time to reflect on all the good that we have only after the bad or the traumatic.
Is it maybe because we have allowed our lives to be so overrun and consumed on the next achievement and next high that we forget to take stock of the current? Are we too busy seeking the perfect job to enjoy the one we have? Too consumed with the pursuit of “economic freedom” that we completely neglect the very precious lives we have?

If this state of living was a crime, I would be sentenced to the maximum term! I too have lived this current year from one event to the next, never taking time to breathe and enjoy the precious moments that were passing me by. I forgot to take in the views on the magical runs. I took for granted that feeling of having your stomach drop out of your belly when planes were taking off. I have grown numb to the screams I made on rollercoasters and the screams and shrieks I made in a scary movie. I just forgot to be present!

I had the most fascinating talk with my CFO this morning at work. If there are any two persons who could complain about a TOUGH year…it would be the two of us! From being the only finance professionals in the entire organization to trying to instill some culture change…we have the scars! She reminded me about the importance of taking stock of victories every day! No matter how small. She suggested something that I plan to implement as soon as I get back to the office!

So here, boys and girls, is how a young, bright and gifted CFO has taught me to keep track of all my victories

1.       Get yourself a jar. Any size…it does not matter
2.       Place this jar on your table. A spot that will from today be known as the spot on your table for THAT jar!
3.       Every time you “win”, write it on a piece of paper…put that paper in a jar!
4.       Read these victories whenever you are in doubt, feel overwhelmed and to remind yourself that there are certain moments in life that are worth living and savouring!

I am hoping that this exercise helps me to take proper account of all the good that happen each day! That at the end of the week…end of the month or end of the year, I can look back and relive the moments I conquered the things I never thought I could or simply enjoyed the moment. I want to dip into the pockets of happiness and drink from the sprout of joy long after the moment has evaporated. I want to be philosophical everyday. To savour the joys of every day.

I step into 2016 with an enormous amount of gratitude. For all the victories of the year that was along with all the sorrows. The sorrows were necessary to see this amazing transformation and growth! Can we dub 2016 the year of gratitude? The year of reminding ourselves about all the good that happens in a world that seems to be so overrun with bad. Let it be a year of taking in the moments! A year of freely and exuberantly enjoying the “Oh wow!!!”.

Here is to a year of half empty and of sunshine on a cloudy day!
Here is to 2016!

1 comment:

  1. Hey D. This popped up on my Facebook memory timeline today. I find so many parallels with your latest one on it being Easy to Die.

    ReplyDelete